Wednesday, August 5, 2015

No Network Adapters after Windows 10 Upgrade

I upgraded a few machines to Windows 10. I used a preview and didn't mind it, so thought I'd take the plunge. All had gone well enough until I upgraded a machine and then had no network adapters. I assumed drivers were needed, but everything looked good under device manager. I updated them with drivers from Lenovo anyway. Still nothing...no wireless or wired adapter visible.

I googled and found this, which looked promising: Fix No Wi-Fi Available After Windows 10 Upgrade Issue, Here’s How

I followed the steps and the first one seemed to take, but the second definitely didn't, and the problem remained.

Then I saw this discussion: Network Adapter missing after automatic windows 10 update

...near the bottom, someone mentions that they had to locate the key in regedit and delete it there, as opposed to doing it through elevated cmd. I tried that way and it worked. THEN I ran the second command from the first link and it succeeded and immediately fixed the issue. I restarted just in case.

I can't add a screenshot since I already did it, but you can browse to and expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>CLSID, then delete the 988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3 key and subkeys. Back up your registry first to be safe. Searching for '988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3' may be faster if you can copy and paste. Good luck!

No comments: